Home improvements

Making changes

You’re free to decorate your home as you want it and you don’t need our permission.


However, if you want to make a change which goes beyond decorating you’ll need to get in touch with us first.


If you rent a home from us and you want to make other improvements, like installing a new kitchen or bathroom, then you’ll need our permission.


When you get in contact, we’ll need to know:

  •     What the work will involve
  •     Who’ll be carrying out the work and information about who will do it
  •     How much it’ll cost.

We’ll need as much information as possible as we may need to come and take a look at your home.


The easiest way to tell us about changes you want to make is on My Account.


Login or register now

If your plans go beyond simple decoration get in touch.

Planned maintenance

We carry out maintenance work on a large number of our homes every year and we’re committed to spend £118m on our homes over the next five years.


Our maintenance programme includes replacing bathrooms and kitchens and fitting new windows.


We plan this work based on the age and condition of our homes. If we are going to complete work on your home we will let you know in advance what we’re planning and when it’s likely to happen.


You can read our Repairs and Maintenance Policy here.

Aids and adaptations

If you need changes to be made to your home to make it easier to get around we will do all we can to meet your needs.

You can request a minor adaptation over the phone.


The type of minor adaptations we may be able to do include:

  • installing grab rails in doorways and corridors
  • installing grab rails in your bathroom
  • installing extra handrails to the stairways or external steps
  • installing lever taps to bathrooms and kitchens.

We can normally assess your request over the phone and tell you if we can help straight away. Occasionally, if your needs are more complex, or you are unsure about what you might need, we may refer you to an occupational therapist for a needs assessment.


You can read our Aids and Adaptations Policy here.

Major adaptations involve more significant work. If you want to request this it will always need to be supported by an occupational therapist needs assessment which you should arrange with your local council.


The types of major adaptations we may be able to carry out include:

  • a stairlift
  • a level access shower
  • a through floor lift
  • ramps

Major adaptations are normally funded through a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) which is applied for through your local council. Initially, you will need to have an assessment by an occupational therapist who will give you advice on the best adaptations to meet your needs.


The council will take into consideration your income and savings before deciding how much grant you may be entitled to. We can help you to complete the application forms.


You can read our Aids and Adaptations Policy here.

More significant adaptations will need to be assessed by your local council and you could qualify for a grant. Contact your council first.

Common questions

Customer services