Moving home

Mutual exchange

A mutual exchange, or home swap, is when you exchange your home and tenancy with another customer of a social landlord.  The other customer doesn’t have to be a Citizen customer.


If you are thinking of doing a mutual exchange, check your tenancy agreement to see if you can exchange.


All involved landlords need to give permission before an exchange can take place and a number of factors will be taken into consideration. You cannot exchange if:

  • You have a Starter Tenancy or an Intermediate Market Rent Tenancy
  • A Notice Seeking Possession has been served on either party or if there is a court order to give up possession of the property
  • Any member of the households have an Anti-Social Behaviour order in place (or being sought against them).

Once we have received both application forms, we have 42 days to make a decision on whether or not to approve the Mutual Exchange.

To find someone to exchange with you can apply on the HomeSwapper website.


Once you have made an application we will need to authorise it. When your application has been authorised you will be able to make requests to other customers who have a suitable home.


When you have found a home you are interested in you will need to view it. If you are happy to go ahead with the exchange you, and the other parties involved, will have to complete application forms and send them to Citizen. It is important that you check what type of tenancy the other person has as this is the tenancy you will be taking on. Some tenancies have more rights and others have fewer rights.


You can download a Mutual Exchange Application Form here:


Download and complete this form if you are a Citizen customer.


Download and complete this form if you are not a Citizen customer.

Applying to swap your home is easy.

We will arrange to visit your property to make sure it is in a good condition. If you are applying with a tenant of another landlord we will exchange references with them.

As part of our decision we will consider:

  • If your rent account is clear and you have no other debts with us
  • If the new customers have a family that your home is a suitable size and will meet their needs.

If we approve your application we will set a date for the exchange and arrange for you to sign the paperwork.

In a mutual exchange you swap tenancy so it’s important you check you’re happy with the tenancy agreement you will be swapping to.


A transfer is when you move from your home to another home we own or manage.

You can arrange a transfer through your local council. This allows you to make bids on homes you are interested in.


Sometimes we will advertise homes through the council’s choice-based lettings system and give priority to our customers who want to transfer. This is because we want to help customers who want to move.


Your priority will depend on your circumstances and higher priority will be given to customers who have too many rooms for their needs or customers living in overcrowded conditions.




You can apply for a transfer through your council’s choice-based lettings system.

If you want to move we will look at the size of your home and the size of your family to make sure it is right for you.


We will check your home to make sure it is in a good condition and there are no repairs needed. Any damage to the home must be repaired before we allow you to move. This includes your garden.


To be considered for a transfer your account with us will need to be clear with no debts.

If you want to move we will look at the size of your home and the size of your family to make sure it is right for you.

Customer services